The ring displays the arms of the Jenison family. The Jenison family made their fortune from apothecary. They first appeared as aldermen of Newark in 1580 and thereafter, each generation served as aldermen, and then mayors. Sir Matthew Jenison was a member of parliament for Newark between 1701-1705.
He embarked on dubious schemes involving land around Newark and, with a growing reputation for prevarication and duplicity, he became involved in several lawsuits. For failing to pay his legal costs in a particular suit, he was committed to the Fleet Prison, where he died in 1734 at the age of 80.
The ring was found on Sunday 12th July 2020 at Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire and recorded at the PAS as LIN-1B6093.